Kendrion N.V. – Dutch company with German roots
Kendrion develops, manufactures and markets high-quality electromagnetic and mechatronic systems and components for industrial and automotive applications.
For over a century, we have been engineering precision parts for the world’s leading innovators in passenger cars, commercial vehicles and industrial applications. As a leading technology pioneer, Kendrion invents, designs and manufactures complex components and customised systems as well as local solutions on demand. Committed to the engineering challenges of tomorrow, taking responsibility for how we source, manufacture and conduct business is embedded into our culture of innovation.
Rooted in Germany and headquartered in the Netherlands, our expertise extends across Europe to the Americas and Asia.
Created with passion and engineered with precision: Kendrion – we magnetise the world.
Organisation of Kendrion
The Kendrion group employs 2700 employees worldwide and is divided into the divisions Industrial and Automotive. The latter consists of the two business areas Passenger Cars and Commercial Vehicles.
The business area Passenger Cars is an association of the Kendrion (Villingen) GmbH and the Kendrion Kuhnke Automotive GmbH. Behind these companies are the traditional brands Binder and Kuhnke which are presented as follows.
The traditional Binder brand laid the foundation for the successful development of the business unit Passenger Car Systems. The W. Binder Company was founded in 1911 by Wilhelm Binder. In the early 1920's, Wilhelm Binder began to develop and manufacture electromagnetic components, such as clamping devices, protective solenoids, magnetic drums and stroke solenoids. The product range was steadily increased, and production plants were continuously expanded.
In 1953, the first appearance at the Hannover Messe helped to gain international recognition. Over the years, more than 100 patents and utility models were applied for. In 1997, the Company was acquired by the Dutch Group Schuttersveld N.V. - today known as Kendrion N.V.
In the following years, Kendrion integrated the Companies: Thoma, Neue Hahn and Magnet AG (1999), Linnig Group (2007), Tri-Tech (2008), Magneta GmbH & Co. KG (2010), FAS Controls Inc. (2011) and Kuhnke AG (2013).
In 2011, Kendrion celebrated its 100th company anniversary. Today, Kendrion develops cutting-edge electromagnetic solutions for industrial applications. These are used in systems such as elevators, door and gate locking systems, industrial robots, medical equipment, electrical switchgear, diesel and gasoline engines, A/C systems, engine-cooling systems and beverage machinery.
Kuhnke was founded in 1928 by Hellmut Kuhnke and Friedrich-Willhelm Berger in Kiel, Schleswig-Holstein. After the Second World War Kuhnke moved to Malente and the fabrication of relays started which built the corner stone of a long tradition with universal relays.
Magnets technology and pneumatics followed more than 50 years ago so that a long-lasting experience in all three big areas is available. In 1972 a broad know-how in the technology electronics was added. In addition, the sound technology completed the product portfolio since a few years.
The international orientation of Kuhnke started in 1998 by opening a second manufacturing site in Romania which was extended gradually within the past few years. At the beginning of the 21st century, the company was split in the two businesses Kuhnke Automotive and Kuhnke Automation.
In 2013 the Kuhnke AG became a part of Kendrion whereby the two businesses where renamed in Kendrion Kuhnke Automotive and Kendrion Kuhnke Automation.
Since 2016 Kendrion (Villingen) GmbH and Kendrion Kuhnke Automotive belong to the business area Passenger Cars offering our target customers a broad product portfolio for the automotive market.